Friday, May 11, 2018

Paint You Wings

The pride and joy of all that I love about my CRZ. The HPD inspired wing. It is by far, the most beautiful thing I've ever done to it.

I love GT wings on cars. I dont know why. I think its preposterous, absurd, ridiculous, outrageous! But if designed and fitted properly, its the most beautiful thing ever to grace the car.

It totally transform how the car looks. Good or bad it is all subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? I was determined to make this wing. I told myself, that no matter what, this wing is a must. I dont care if the person has to custom it or source it from somewhere.

As long as it fits my budget. By heaven or hell, I will have it done! As far as i can remember, i started asking around bodykit vendors, car accessory shop and even FRP custom builders if they have a mold of the wing. No luck. Custom was too expensive, and pre-made ones are too small.

I even found out the wing that was used by Honda HPD in US, its from APR and a carbon fiber wing which costs more than $USD2000. So yeah. No.

My members tried to persuade me to go for the J's Racing GT wing for the CRZ. Meh. That's too small bro! I WANTED THIS!
Look at that beauty. The CRZ's width is 1740mm not including the side mirrors. To get this exact size means i can only custom make it. No way, those pre-made or aftermarket ones has this exact size or i was fed up looking.

Finally i found it. Someone who's willing to do it for me. Coming from a shop who specializes in making custom FRP kits for cars, the man told me he's willing to do it for me for just RM800 including paint. The holders will be using aluminium stands to support the wing. RM800? WTF AM I WAITING FOR? I immediately said ok.

This guy was very detailed and thorough with the work. Everything was measured to the millimeter.
Both the stand and support leg was using standard aluminium stands. Strong and solid. I'm gonna regret saying this.
Then the wing itself was using a generic GT wing and being extended at 3 different place to the exact width i wanted. It was fucking fabulous!
Even had to see if it has the proper height. Not over the roofline as exactly in the picure above.
He even got the size of the side blades down to perfection. Finishing touch to honor the wing? HPD's very own logo. Took him 5 days in total from measuring to installing. He was the master. He wasn't the man I wanted. He was the hero I needed.

B-O-O-M!



No comments: