Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Compact Renaissance Zero

Why hello there. To the world out there, this is my 2013 Honda CRZ. Five years I have owned this car. My first car nonetheless. Properly and only owned by me. Paying it all by myself with no help from who or whatsoever.

image


My daily driven. My love. My heart and soul. It is more than a car to me. Its love and passion that not only takes me from point A to point B, it is a cure to sorrows and joy to my soul. Let me get some technical terms about it.

The Honda CRZ is a hybrid which combines a 1.5 i-VTEC LEA engine and Honda's IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) electric motor which puts out a combine output of 136hp and 190nm of torque mated to a 6 speed manual gearbox. 120ps from the engine and 20ps from the electric motor. Also at the back of the car is a pack of lithium-ion batteries to store electric for the electric motor. It has three driving modes; ECON, Normal and Sports.

The model I'm having is the updated model from the first production model. Codenamed the ZF2, what changed from the exterior is the restyled front bumper which features a bigger foglight housing and a honeycomb grilled and a built in splitter. At the rear, the diffuser has also been restyled with now adding a solid paint strip at the bottom of the diffuser. On the inside, the seats and door panels now has red fabrics. The engine and electric motor has been updated as well, uprated to a combined 136hp and 190nm over the previous ZF1 which has 125hp and 174nm. A positive change of the ZF2 over the ZF1 is that the previous battery pack which is nickel batteries is now replaced with lithium-ion batteries which produces more power and stores more electricity. Even regenerates electricity faster than the nickel batteries.

A defining feature of the ZF2 is the introduction of the S+ button located on the steering wheel. Glowing blue on the wheel, the S+ button can only be activated when certain conditions are met. I will deliberate more on this later. Basically this is like the KERS system on an F1 car or the nitrous button on, well NOS equipped car. Once pushed, the electric motor will give a 100% boost of electricity into the petrol engine for 10 seconds. Honda claims it will give the driver the acceleration of a 3.0 V6! Nonetheless, once used this will drain 50% of the battery power. I haven't been using this feature very much, for the two years I've owned this car, I can be very certain to say that I have used this feature for less than 10 times. Didn't see the need of me using it.

The Malaysian CRZ comes with six airbags as standard. Two in the front, two on each door and two side curtain, one on each side. ABS and VSA (traction control), hill-start assist, and auto-stop-start comes as standard. It also has automated headlamps, automated air-conditioning and windscreen wipers. The car comes with 16 inch twin spoke alloys from Enkei wrapped with 195/55 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A ultra high performance tires.
The car is marketed as a 2+2 seater hatchback coupe. While in other countries there are no backseat, the Malaysian model has the backseat. Probably for people without legs and head because there is absolutely no legroom and headroom thanks to the lowslung design of the roof.

The CRZ was launched in Malaysia back in 2012 and its available to buy at RM115,000.00 for 6MT and RM119,000.00 for the CVT. The facelifted ZF2 model was launched a year later and the price was updated to RM119,000.00 for the 6MT and RM123,000.00 for CVT. All prices are inclusive of insurance.

No comments: